About Me

Monday, April 23, 2012

Itty Bitty Baby Dress - Complete!

So I've finished my baby girls Itty Bitty Baby Dress and I am absolutely in love with the results! I've gotten great compliments on it and been told it looks like a dress strait out of a department store (Thanks Taya!) Another thing people can't beleive is that it all cost under $5 bucks to make and it was super easy!

I got the pattern and idea from Rae over at made-by-rae.com.  You can find the free pattern and step by step instructions here.  You can download the PDF instructions there, print them out like I did, or do them step by step from your phone/computer.  Rae also has a toddler version incase you're past the baby phase and have a toddler and want to get the same dress results.

The instructions are extremely easy! You don't require a fancy sewing machine or fancy fabric (unless you have one and prefer fancier fabric). I made mine from 2 different fat quarters that only cost me $99 cents each at Walmart.  I used Maxi Bias Piping which cost me around $1.30, but you opt for making your own. I used flannel I had laying around for the inner lining, but considered upcycling one of Vic's old T-shirts that he doesn't use anymore so any soft and lightweight material will do, and that's if you want to add a lining-- it's not necessary.  I only added lining to the upper portion of the dress.

Here is my finished product with a picture of baby Eva's teddy modeling the dress for you. (BTW, I made the Teddy's head accessories as well).

 BTW, I decided not to go with the ties on the shoulder straps and opted for a completly closed shoulder strap.  That's the beauty of making your own clothes and using free patterns online, you can alter and make changes as you wish making the peice even more individual and unique.




 Piping and gathering on the skirt



No comments: